Stand aside regular cookies, the heatwave is back in full swing & we need ice cream. These Vegan Dark Chocolate, Coconut & Raspberry Sandwiches from Charlotte Emma are the perfect summer indulgence!
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup light brown soft sugar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1.25 cups wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 bar Seed & Bean Coconut & Raspberry Dark Chocolate
For the ice cream:
- 2 14-oz cartons coconut cream
- 5 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 bar dark chocolate (I used another Seed & Bean Coconut & Raspberry)
- 1/4 cup freeze dried raspberries
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line 2 baking sheets and a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add dates to a food processor with a few tbsps hot water and process into a paste. Set aside.
- Using an electric hand whisk or mixer, whip the coconut cream in the chilled bowl until creamy and smooth (about 5 mins). Then add maple syrup, milk and date paste and whip until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the frozen raspberries and transfer the mixture to your lined loaf tin. Cover loosely with cling film, then foil to help freeze.
- Place in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
- To make the cookies, mix the butter and sugars in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Whisk in the maple syrup and milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cacao powder and cornflour and add to the bowl. Mix in until well combined.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks (about 0.5cm) and stir into the mixture.
- Divide the dough into 12 portions and roll each into a ball. Place them well spaced apart on the baking trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. They will firm up as they cool so don’t worry if they still seem a bit squishy after 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool on the tray for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Once cookies are completely cool and ice-cream has been in the freezer for at least 2 hours (until solid and slightly moussey), sandwich 1 scoop ice-cream between two cookies and return to the freezer. Repeat until you have 6 sandwiches.
- If desired, you can also melt another bar of chocolate over a ban marie and dip each sandwich in chocolate to coat. While the chocolate is warm, dip in freeze dried raspberries and coconut. Leave to set in the freezer for 30 mins.
- Store sandwiches in the freezer and take out 5 mins or so before eating.