"I guess flapjacks can come across as a slightly less interesting treat. Are they a dessert? Are they a snack? They feel like they’re somewhere in between."
These chocolate covered rocky road flapjacks from Sarah's Cookery are everything that's good about flapjacks, plus an extra layer of chocolate!
This recipe uses our Cornish Sea Salt Dark Chocolate, but you can use whichever flavour you prefer.
"They’re really easy to make and they call for only a handful of ingredients. Having that chocolate chip texture in the filling and a fine coat of chocolate make them feel so much more luxurious and decadent whilst still maintaining a healthier status."
(Makes 14 flapjacks)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups porridge oats
- 2 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ orange juice
- 1 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put coconut oil, sugar and syrup in a medium pan and melt over a low heat. When melted remove from heat and add oats and almond meal to pan and stir together to coat all oats with oil/sugar mixture.
- Add orange juice and vanilla extract to the pan and stir in. Once mixed put the pan aside to cool before adding chocolate chips.
- Add 1/2 cup of roughly chopped chocolate to pan and mix. Put mixture into a brownie tin or shallow tray and press evenly with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake on the middle shelf of your oven for 12 minutes at 200C.
- Once fully cooled melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and spread over the top of the flapjack then put aside to set. Once set, cut into bars and enjoy!