Today marks the start of Fairtrade Fortnight (25th February 2019).
"For two weeks each year, thousands of individuals, companies and groups across the UK come together to celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid. This year we are focusing on the people – in particular the women – who grow the cocoa in the chocolate we love so much.
Perhaps one of the simplest ways to support cocoa farmers around the world, is by buying Fairtrade chocolate and cocoa. While this doesn’t immediately solve all the issues, keeping up the demand allows farmers to sell more of their cocoa on Fairtrade terms thus increasing their income." - Fairtrade
Learn more here.
This year, as well as supporting the Faitrade organisation itself, we have also partnered with our friends at Percol Coffee to offer you this amazing recipe to celebrate all things Fairtrade and help spread the word!
(Makes 6 medium cakes)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook/chill time: 20 minutes/ overnight (8 hours)
- 100g Plain White Flour
- 150g Coconut Sugar
- 40g Cacao
- ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- ½ Cup Almond Milk
- 80ml Percol Ground Colombian Coffee
- 60ml Coconut Oil (at room temp.)
- 1 Egg
- 100g Coconut Milk (set in the fridge overnight)
- 3 Tbsp. Orange Juice
- Rind of 1 Orange
- ¼ Cup Fresh Thyme (finely chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. Sweetener of Choice
- 25g Seed & Bean Orange and Thyme Chocolate Bar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degress centigrade and prepare cupcake cases in a baking tray.
- To make the cupcakes-
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix all wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the try and mix well until it forms a smooth and fairly runny mixture.
- Fill your cupcakes cases ¾ full with the mixture and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Whilst the cupcakes cool make your frosting-
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or hand mix with a whisk.
- Pop back in the fridge until your cupcakes are cool.
- Once completely cool, drizzle the frosting on to each cupcake.
- Grate/chop the chocolate and sprinkle over the cupcakes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.