A rich, decadent cake for the ultimate dark-chocolate lovers. This cake is dense and incredibly moist, with a cakey inner and slight crunch to top. Divine served with a dollop of plant-based yoghurt or cream for dessert.
- 4 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 11 Tablespoons just-boiled water (to mix with flaxseed)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I use almond)
- 200 grams Seed and Bean Lavender Extra Dark Chocolate
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (caster sugar can also be used, if you don't have coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (rapeseed oil can also be used, if you don't have coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups ground almonds (also known as almond flour)
Icing sugar, sifted Lavender
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Lightly grease and line a 23cm round cake tin.
- In a mug or small bowl, whisk together ground flaxseed and just-boiled water. Place mixture in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your cake.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, heat milk over low heat. Once simmering, remove from heat and fold through broken chocolate with a rubber spatula until melted and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, place sugar, oil, vanilla and salt and whisk until combined.
- Remove flaxseed mix from the fridge. This should now appear 'gluggy', much like an egg mix. Stir with a fork and then add to oil mix. Whisk all ingredients to combine.
- Now, add your melted chocolate mix, and fold through with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Add ground almonds, folding again until smooth and lump-free. Pour batter into your prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 - 1 hour 20 minutes or until the cake bounces back when pressed lightly in the centre. A cake skewer, when inserted into the centre of the cake, should produce a cakey, not wet, mixture.
- Allow to cool in tin before transferring onto a wire lack. Once at room temperature, dust with a sprinkling of icing sugar and decorate with lavender.
- This cake is lovely served as a dessert with a side of your favourite vegan ice-cream.