A vegetarian feast to be reckoned with! If you've never tried Caponata before, this is the best place to start! Pure delicious with chocolate-y richness from Mr Organic.
Did you know that Caponata can be eaten both hot and cold?
- 1 c. sunflower oil
- 1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 piece of celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Mr Organic tomato paste mixed with 2 Tbs. water
- 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 c. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbs. toasted pinenuts
- 2 oz. Seed and Bean Cornish Sea Salt Dark Chocolate
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed & drained
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. Mr Organic Chocolate Olive Oil
- 1 box Natural Crackers
- 1/2 c. basil, finely shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Divide the eggplant into thirds and fry separately in batches until browned 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to paper towels, drain off excess oil and put into a medium bowl to set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Return the pan to medium heat, add the onions and celery, and season with salt.
- Stir often and cook until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and water and stir fry until caramelised and almost evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in vinegar, raisins, capers, brown sugar, and chocolate, stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant and add the pine nuts, 1/2 the basil, and olive oil, tossing to combine.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Spoon a bite-sized amount onto each cracker and garnish with basil.