The perfect breakfast switch up treat - a light and fluffy lemon and poppyseed chocolate muffin! Enjoy warm with a cup of tea or coffee to brighten up a gloomy morning.
For the lemon & poppyseed muffins:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 110g Seed & Bean Lemon and Poppyseed chocolate (chopped into chunks)
For the lemon glaze & white chocolate drizzle:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 42.5g Seed & Bean Lemon and Poppyseed chocolate
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease a 12 mould regular-size muffin tray.
- In a large bowl bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- With the whisk attached, add the lemon zest and caster sugar to your stand mixer and mix on a medium-high speed to combine (you can also use a bowl with a hand held mixer).
- Then add the (melted) butter, milk, lemon juice and continue mixing until combined.
- Add in the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and continue to whisk, until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir gently with a spatula until just combined (it’s okay if your mixture looks lumpy/there are still clumps of flour).
- Fold in the poppy seeds and chocolate chunks until evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the greased muffin tray (you can use muffin cases if you prefer).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack and finish cooling completely.
- Whilst your muffins are cooling, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until smooth (consistency can be altered depending your desired thickness - I prefer a lighter glaze, especially when adding the chocolate drizzle).
- Melt the lemon and poppyseed chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Brush the lemon glaze over the cooled muffins and then drizzle with chocolate.
- Let the chocolate set and enjoy!!
About the Author: I’m Bea from @beabopbakes, and I love all things baking. Although I love getting creative in the kitchen (especially eating my creations), one of my favourite parts about baking is taking photos and styling whatever I have made. Follow me on insta for lots of drool worthy baking content!