These Lemon & Cardamom Chocolate Twists may look professional and complicated, but we assure you they are really easy! Shaping them is a little bit tricky, but you can twist them anyway you like - inject a bit of character into your chocolate twists!
(makes approx 12)
For the dough:
- 480g strong bread flour
- 250ml warm, but not hot milk (to activate the yeast)
- 50g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 4tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- Pinch of cardamom
For the filling:
- 1 bar of Seed and Bean Lemon and Cardamom Dark Chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 2-3tbsp butter
- 2-3tbsp dark brown sugar
Make the dough
1. Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl, mix and make a well in the centre, Add the wet ingredients into the middle and combine. The dough will be pretty wet, so allow plenty of extra floour to dust over while you knead. Knead for 5-10 minutes, until springy, then leave somewhere warm for an hour.
Step 2: Fill it up
2. Cut the dough in half, then roll into a square(ish)
3. Melt the butter and stir in the sugar. Spread half the mix over the dough and top with the chopped chocolate (reserve a little to brush over later). Fold half over towards you and roll the rolling pin over the lot.
Step 3: The twisty bit
4. Cut the dough into slices about an inch and a half thick (the thicker they are the bigger the twist). Once all done, make another slice down the middle of each, but not completely! The shape you are aiming for is like a pair of trousers.
5, Twist each leg, Take hold of the right one and wrap it anticlockwise round the top of the dough, Then take the left and simply lay it on top of the right. Tuck the ends in and you're done!
6. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
Step 4: Get it golden
7. Bake at roughly 180 degrees until golden brown
8. Once they are out of the oven and while they are still warm, brush lightly with the remaining sugar and butter mixture - this is how you get them to turn into sticky buns.