This Mochamel Shortbread provides a uniquely delicious twist on the classic Millionaires Shortbread. The addition of coffee, in both the rich date caramel and the espresso dark chocolate, makes for a luxurious treat. Vegan, fruit-sweetened and easily made gluten-free if necessary, this is a healthier twist that doesn’t compromise on flavour. Try it for yourself - you won’t be disappointed!
- 50g each oats and coconut flour
- 1/2 small banana (about 50g)
- 1 tbsp tahini (about 15g)
- 20ml water
- Loaf tin, prick with fork, bake at 180/ fan 160C for 10 mins
- 150g pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 mins, + 4 tbsp soaking water
- 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 4 tsp water
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Sea salt
- 65g Seed & Bean Espresso Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 180C/ fan 160C. Line a loaf tine with greaseproof paper & set aside.
- Whizz the oats and coconut flour together in a food processor until flour-like, then add the remaining base ingredients into your processor and blend until starting to clump together.
- Press this mixture firmly into your loaf tin, making sure to apply a good amount of pressure. Prick all over with a fork and bake for 10 minutes, before setting aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the coffee-caramel. Place the dates with 4 tbsp of their soaking water in your food processor along with the remaining filling ingredients and whizz until smooth. Add a touch more of the soaking water if needed.
- Spread the caramel over the cooled shortbread base, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Whilst this sets, melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a small pan over a low heat, stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Pour this over the set caramel, spreading evenly to cover the top.
- Replace in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours, before cutting into squares. Use a sharp knife warmed under hot water to minimise the amount of caramel that oozes out while cutting, but will be messy - this is the fun part though! Lick any extras so none goes to waste 😜
- Store the Mochamel Shortbread in an airtight container in the freezer. Remove a slice and leave to thaw for 5-10 minutes before devouring!