Tender, moist vegan banana bread with a subtle and delicious lavender touch thanks to Seed and Bean’s Lavender Extra Dark Chocolate. Be generous with the chocolate chunks, I highly recommend to chop up the whole bar to get an irresistible loaf.
Enjoy it as an indulgent breakfast or serve with your afternoon tea. It’s so yummy you’ll want a slice at any time of the day!
The white chocolate glaze is totally optional but it’ll make your loaf look extra fancy, especially if you want to wow your guests at home.
(makes one 20 x 10 cm loaf approx.)
- ½ cup mashed banana.
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 3 ½ tbsp water.
- 1/3 cup mild-tasting extra virgin olive oil.
- ½ cup unrefined cane sugar.
- 1 cup spelt flour.
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt.
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda.
- ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla powder.
- 1 bar of Seed and Bean’s Lavender Extra Dark Chocolate (72 % cocoa), chopped into chunks.
- 85 g approximately vegan white chocolate.
- Powdered purple yam or violet/purple gel food colouring.
- Lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray an 8 x 4-inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan, and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Make the flax egg by stirring together the ground flax seeds with the water in a small bowl, let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed banana, applesauce, flax egg, oil and vigorously mix with a hand whisk.
- Add in sugar and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl combine spelt flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla powder.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix with a silicone spatula just until combined. Finally fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes approximately, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (a few tiny moist crumbs are okay).
- I recommend to check the loaf at 40 minutes and, if necessary, rotate the pan to ensure an even browning.
- Once baked, transfer to a cooling rack and allow the loaf to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Let cool completely on the wire rack, it is important to wait until it's cold before covering with the white chocolate glaze.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- For the white chocolate glaze:
- Chop the vegan white chocolate bar into chunks and melt in a double boiler. Remove from heat and add a bit of powdered purple yam or violet gel food coloring until you get a lavender tone. Immediately pour over the (cold) banana bread and let it set at room temperature before slicing.
About the author:
Gemma is the face behind Cinnamon Girl, a food blog that focus on wholesome recipes mostly plant-based. She’s also a freelance food photographer based in Barcelona and a recipe developer for organic food brands and loves to share her passion for food and healthy living.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cinnamongirlbcn